A highly effective and minimally invasive procedure, sclerotherapy treats unsightly spider veins and varicose veins, leaving your legs looking and feeling better.
While the procedure itself is relatively quick and simple, proper sclerotherapy aftercare is crucial to ensure a successful outcome and minimize discomfort.
Here are the 10 most essential post-sclerotherapy aftercare steps to help you achieve the best results possible:
1. Wear Compression Stockings: According to Verywell Health, “The one thing you must do is wear your compression socks during recovery, particularly when you are on your feet. You will need to do so for seven to 14 days, depending on the extensiveness of the treatment.”
These specially designed stockings apply pressure to the treated veins, helping them seal shut and preventing blood from pooling.
2. Stay Active: In order to ensure a healthy recovery, make sure to maintain an active lifestyle after sclerotherapy treatment. According to the Mayo Clinic, “You can get up and walk around soon after the procedure. Walking and moving helps keep blood clots from forming.”
4. Avoid Sun Exposure: According to the American Society of Dermatologic Surgery, “You should avoid sun exposure in the treatment area for two weeks following the procedure.” Direct sunlight can be harmful to the treated area, potentially causing skin discoloration or hyperpigmentation.
Therefore, be sure to keep the treated areas covered or use sunscreen with the highest SPF when exposed to the sun (and avoid the use of tanning beds).
5. Elevate Your Legs: Make sure to elevate your legs to help reduce swelling and discomfort, especially during the first few days post-sclerotherapy. When sitting or resting, try to keep your legs elevated above heart level whenever possible.
Call Or Request An Appointment
Contact us to schedule an appointment with our expert Vein Specialists team. We will evaluate your signs and symptoms, answer your questions, and create a personalized vein care treatment plan to relieve your leg pain and enhance your life.Schedule Your Appointment Today
6. Take Medication for Pain Management as Instructed: You may receive over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen to manage any discomfort or pain. Follow instructions carefully and avoid aspirin, as it can increase the risk of bruising.
7. Avoid Hot Baths and Saunas: Hot baths, hot tubs and saunas can dilate blood vessels and potentially interfere with the healing process.
8. Make and Keep Your Follow-Up Appointments: Regular follow-up appointments are crucial to monitor your progress and address any concerns. Be sure to attend all scheduled visits and communicate any unexpected symptoms or issues promptly.
9. Watch for Complications: While complications after sclerotherapy are rare, it’s essential to be aware of warning signs that may indicate a problem such as:
- Excessive Swelling
- Severe Pain
- Redness or Warmth in the Treated Area
If you experience any concerning symptoms, contact your vein doctor immediately.
10. Last But Not Least, Be Patient: It’s essential to understand that the results of sclerotherapy may not be immediately visible. It can take several weeks or even months for the treated veins to fade completely. Be patient and trust the process.
By following these sclerotherapy aftercare tips, you can help ensure a smooth recovery and enjoy the improved appearance and comfort of your legs in no time.
Request an Appointment
Please take a moment and fill out your request below and one of our staff members will be in contact within 24-48 business hours. If this is an emergency, call 911 immediately. If this is a non-emergent concern, please call the office Monday-Friday between 8am – 5pm at: 239-694-8346