Dr. Magnant is an experienced Board-Certified Vascular Surgeon at Vein Specialists in Fort Myers and Bonita Springs. He and his experienced Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners perform injection sclerotherapy on patients suffering from spider veins and varicose veins. Injection sclerotherapy is a non-invasive yet very effective outpatient procedure which successfully eliminates the pain and irritation caused by spider veins and varicose veins.
During treatment, a diluted FDA-approved chemical solution is injected into the problem vein through a very small needle. The medicine inflames the vein wall which then closes off the vein and causes less burning and pain than concentrated saline solutions used in the past.
The injection sclerotherapy provided by Vein Specialists in Fort Myers and Bonita Springs has an advantage over laser sclerotherapy in several ways. Injection sclerotherapy:
- Allows the Treatment of a Much Larger Area
- Heals Diseased Veins in a Shorter Period
- Involves Less Discomfort
Because injection sclerotherapy is not an “eraser” vein treatment technique, expectations should be discussed with the Vein Specialists in Fort Myers and Bonita Springs before treatment.
What You Can Expect After Injection Sclerotherapy
Depending on the size of the area and extent of vein disease, the final results of injection sclerotherapy may take weeks or even months to be fully visible. Here are some useful facts to consider before scheduling your injection sclerotherapy treatment:
- Staining of the Skin may occur and could last up to one year follow injection sclerotherapy, although most staining fades within the first 6-12 weeks following treatment. Skin staining is simply the iron residue left from red blood cells and is typically found in the upper layers of the skin.
- Compression Socks must be worn for 72 hours after you undergo injection sclerotherapy and is a mandatory part of treatment at Vein Specialists in Fort Myers and Bonita springs.
- Avoidance of direct sun exposure or the use of tanning beds two weeks following injection sclerotherapy is also a mandatory part of treatment.